• About 45,000 Inuit live in Canada’s Inuit Nunangat region.
• The health of the Inuit population as well as the general population of Canada
are influenced by a variety of determinants, including socioeconomic status and
• To fully understand the health of Inuit, their situation must be considered in
the broader context of social and environmental changes.
• Inuit organizations such as the Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami and leaders such as
Sheila Watt-Cloutier have been very active in addressing the health needs of
Inuit people and documenting the effects of a changing environment on their
health and culture.
• Inuit Canadians face challenges when accessing health care and often have
more chronic and infectious diseases than other Canadians.
• Like aboriginal Canadians and indigenous people in many parts of the world,
Inuit have lower life expectancy than members of the general population in Canada.